Friday, May 2, 2008

My husband and I joined the gym together almost three months ago now. He hasn't been as faithful about going as I have, but he is a. in much better shape and doesn't need to lose a pound, and b. he has been sick/injured for the past few weeks or so. Anyway, it's good because it's gotten me into a routine where I go with or without him.

Last night, he finally feels well enough to go. We're working out on machines side by side, and the owner of the gym comes up to say hello. (Aside: This is one reason why I love having a membership at a smaller gym. It might be a few more bucks every month, but it is so worth it.) He asks us how things are going, and Matt tells him that I've lost twenty pounds. The guy congratulates me, asks me to write something for a testimonial board he's going to put up, etc. All really good things.

Totally freaked me out, ruined my mood for a few hours. I tried to figure out why, and what I've come up with is that I don't know how to take compliments, especially ones that are based on how I look. This goes back as far as I can remember--4th grade, boy tells me he likes my shirt, and I ask him if he's lying. You know, "You have such a pretty face, if only you'd lose some weight." I'd like to say this is all in the past, but my family (not realizing it, of course) still treats me this way. I can handle a compliment much better when it comes from someone I know (my husband, my friends) but even though I have a peripheral relationship with the gym owner, I was still really wary. I mean, how hard is it to believe that the owner of the gym where I work out would be happy for my weight loss, especially since it might in a small way benefit him? I am obviously crazy.

No comments: