Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's been a joke between my friends and I for years that I was raised on a diet of beige food. White toast, pasta, chicken, french fries, etc. I was never forced to eat a vegetable. I eschewed even tomato sauce on my spaghetti. I first ate a peach at the age of 21.

Over time, I have slowly incorporated things like spinach and squash into my diet. So adventurous! But when these things are absent from your life for two decades, even romaine lettuce begins to look exotic. (No, really. My mom only eats iceberg.)

But beyond the Comfort-orientated/Bland American style of cooking that I grew up with, is the terror of the sweets. Oh my god, the sweets. This morning, in my mother's fridge and cabinets, are the following:

1 package of Ring-Dings
1 package Hostess Cupcakes
2 packages of Oreos
2 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies
Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins
3 packages of Toll-House Cookie Dough
2 King-Size bars of Hershey Special Dark Chocolate
4 half-gallons of Chocolate Chip ice cream
1 pack of Jello Pudding Cups
2 packages of sugar cookies

This lasts one week for three adults.

Living with my family has caused some of my old habits to come back, certainly. But at least I don't eat ice cream for breakfast.

No comments: